Sunday, August 17, 2008

Phelps Phan

I have been watching the Olympics here and there this year. The first few nights I was faithful to the games, then I found I could watch it online at my leisure. There is one guy I have not missed a swim for. Has anyone? Watching Michael Phelps swim has been awesome. Every time I watch him or his team I am excited and full of pride. There has not been one medal ceremony that I haven't teared up for. I'm not sure if it is because they always pan to his mom and sisters or if it is because of him. I'm proud of Phelps not only because he is an amazing swimmer but because he has become a gracious competitor. The last games he was younger, obviously, but he didn't know how to handle the immense attention he was getting. He almost came off as uninterested or cocky. I think he wanted to retreat away after every race because he wasn't prepared for that kind of attention. These games he is able to deal with the press and isn't self conscious like last time. So not only do we get the most amazing swimmer but a humble man as the image of the US. Awesome. I also think it's awesome that the President went to watch him not just once but twice and the US basketball team cheer him on as often as they get a chance. I'm sure there are more cool people in the audience. I've really enjoyed being a Phelps Phan this year. So much so that I keep thinking I need to start swimming. I could start now and buy 4 years I may be able to swim a couple of laps and have muscle. :)

4 comments:

cinnamongirl93 said...

Ha! I'm with you. I think it would take a few years for me to get to the point of swimming a couple laps.
I have not missed any of his races. We all were able to watch history! His story and the story of his family is so inspiring. How about what he eats in a day. I know I could never eat 8000 to 12000 calories a day! It would be fun to try right? Big smile!!!!!

Tracy Batchelder said...

There was tremendous expectations of him this year and he lived up to them all.

Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

I totally agree! Watching swimming has been so exciting! We're having a great Olympic year.