Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend words

Here is some text to go with Saturday in Pictures. The first picture is a photo of a miter mitten. I am using Debbie Mumm's Traditions yarn. It isn't like working with wool but the final project is lovely and it isn't terrible so I think I can stick it out. The trick is working the afterthough thumb. If it works ok then I will consider this yarn for more "small" projects. The yarn is a wool blend but the way it is plyed or whatever is why it is weird to work with. It's like the wool is spun loosely around one ply of acrylic.



The other pictures are taken of Joy #2's treehouse. He has played in one of our large trees in front of the house forever. Finally, he took the plunge and built a fort. He and his friend started the hammering at 8:30 am and finished up around 4:30 pm. I went up to check it out but whoa it is way up there. They constructed a wooden floor and made 4 corner posts. With that alone it was a nice landing to sit on in the tree. However, not enough like a fort. They were going to use plywood for the walls but decided to go with super thick cardboard. They used the cardboard for walls and used paint tarps for the roof. It really is awesome and sturdy. I watched them for awhile and the branches were very sturdy as they hammered and climbed. the wood is pretty light too.


Sunday every boy in a 3 block radius came over to check it out. I made a rule that no more than 3 at a time could go inside. The others could hang out on branches but not go inside the treehouse. I heard talk of passing a test to be able to be allowed inside. At first I thought, well that's not fair, but then I realized that Joy #2 was overwhelmed with all the boys and just wanted to hang out in his tree with his close friends. I stayed out of it. I'm really proud of his work. No adult help, (like I'd be any help) and they actually got it finished. I'll try and get another photo if I can. It is so high up and buried in the branches that photographing is difficult. Maybe I'll get a better shot in the winter.

5 comments:

leah said...

Wow! I'm impressed by his work! Not just any kid could do that!

Ellen said...

Ooo, the mittens sound fun! The treehouse looks like such a fun project, very impressive!

Debbie said...

I am amazed at the things your son can do with tools and wood!

I wish I could build things like that!

Yes...I definitely want to make some mittens for winter..hmmm what colour should I start with...hmmm

cinnamongirl93 said...

What a talented son you have. It's great to see such dedication and imaganation. You must be so proud. I also think you did the right thing letting him decide who gets to play.
The mittens are looking good!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Cool tree house! And a pretty cool mom you are for letting him build it.