Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Built By Jennifer- Dress Version

I am attending a wedding this weekend (as I've talked about before) in NE. I decided that I would make a dress using Simplicity 3835 because it is casual, comfortable and cute. The wedding I'm attending is out at "our" church camp, Nebraska Youth Camp. It will be beautiful but let's face it. It is not the best place for heels. I purchased 3 yards of a linen blend, natural color. This dress was easy to make, and would have been even easier if I would have paid attention to sizing. When I made the shirt from this pattern I went with a size 16 (normally I'm a 10 and have since found out that pattern size doesn't match up with purchased clothing sizing). So naturally, I just cut size 16. Well, that was wrong. The first try on it was a tent! So I went back to the drawing board and soon discovered that my bust size is a 16 but my waist and hips are a 12. So I laid the pattern over my finished product (unhemmed of course) marked what would be a 12 and resewed. The fit is much better now. I bought some light weight denim to make another version of this dress and I bet that one goes together better. Now i know why they say, make a muslin. I probably never will but I do understand why.



This dress seems pretty plain. I am still debating on embrodering it but when i added some jewelry it dressed it up. Joy #1 says a wide belt would look good too. I'm thinking of lots of possibilites. I would cut into the second dress but I know I have not time to sew it. I'm still knitting away at Joy#1s capelet and there are chores to be done before we head out on Friday.
Outakes while waiting for someone to get off the computer and take my picture.

2 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Good job! Perfect for an outdoor event. I like the necklace with it. It's add a nice touch of color.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Ha! LOL! Love your last shots!
The dress looks great! What about a nice knitted or croetched scarf? I think you may have one. You could even use that as a belt. Just a thought! What ever you decide you will look great!
I'm not so good with garments. I tend to cut something twice and it's still to short! lol!