Friday, May 16, 2008

New Wheels

Bike theft in my town is high. Even higher in the north part of town which I live in. At one point there was a bike chop shop a few blocks from me. I have lived in my home for seven years and we have gone through more bikes than I can remember. I stopped counting at 8. Joy #2 has been the victim of all but 1 of the bike thefts. He starts out really conscious when he gets new wheels. He locks his bike up every night or parks it in the kitchen but inevitably, in time someone takes it. I took a stand a few years ago and said no more. I would not purchase any new bikes.

My mom was telling a guy at work about how many bikes Joy #2 has had stolen. I guess his sons had the same thing happen but not nearly as often! Just a normal conversation with a co-worker and back to work. Yesterday, this co-worker came up to her window (she runs the office and scale at the recycle, dump, transfer station) and said,"Hey, I have a bike for your grandson." She was shocked! They had this conversation months ago. This man has been taking bike parts from the landfill and building Joy #2 a bike! And not just any bike but a one of a kind awesome bike. Light alloy frame, racing tires, sparkly seat, pegs.

I took Joy #2 out there after school to thank the man and get the bike. On the way out there we chatted about what kind of character you'd have to see a need a fix it. Without knowing the recepient, just going above and beyond and doing something extra special. It was cool. Joy #2 got the bike, thanked the man and was totally thrilled! I know very little about bikes but Joy #2 told me about each part, what kind of bike it came from originally and how the craftsman took all the good features of other bikes and made one perfect bike for him.


And to complete the night, Joy #2 had saved up enough money to buy a Ripstick from a neighborhood kid who got one for christmas and couldn't get the hang of it. The top 2 items on his savings list were now his and he has $10 to spare. His new goal is a season swim pass to Wollman Pool.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Hey! Congrats on the new bike...it looks shiny and spectacular!

Tracy Batchelder said...

A one-of-a-kind bike--that's so cool!

What do you do with a Ripstick? I am obviously behind the times.

cinnamongirl93 said...

What a blessing for joy#2! That is answered prayer!
I'm sorry but I have no idea what a ripstich is? My son is almost 20 so I'm a little out of the loop.