Friday, July 11, 2008

Glimmer of Hope

There are times when Joy #2 is so stubborn and strong willed that he makes waves everywhere he goes. There are even times when I have to remind myself that God gave this particular child to raise for a reason. He is special and needs extra care. As frustrating as he can be sometimes, there are other times when he amazes me, impresses me. He is so industrious, hardworking, and we have so much fun!


Yesterday was one of those days. I came home from lunch and fussed at him for this and that. Gave him the standard lecture, "Until I see a huge improvement in your attitude you'll be doing nothing!" Then back to work I go. About 4 pm I get a phone call asking for the ingredients for dough. What kind of dough I ask? You can find everything you need in the Betty Crocker book, I say. I expect a mess but am not really concerned.


I come home to this.
Pizza dough rising. He has decided to make pizza for dinner. And not just pizza but bbq chicken that Joy #1 has talked him into making. I asked him if we have ingredients for bbq chicken because I don't think we have any bbq sauce and he says,"Can't we just make some?" Sure! Google it.

Here is the finished product. Very good pizza that I could have passed off as my own. BBQ Chicken with homemade BBQ sauce. And he did everything himself but cook the chicken. I did that for him while he was researching recipes. Turned out great didn't it?
And to top that he spit shined his room. Glimmer of hope, I call it. I truly think that his adult life will be so rewarding to him because he can do what he wants when he wants to. It is frustrating for us strong willed ones being bossed around all the time as kids. Not that it isn't proper or that we don't need it but because we truly think we know what is best for us. Only 7 more years and he'll call the shots. I hope I last that long!

3 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Yum! Does he deliver?

cinnamongirl93 said...

That's one talented son! He sounds like he is strong willed. I have a son like that too. Don't worry because they grow up stron and confidant. You must be so proud of him. I understand your strugggle.
The pizza looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

Donnie truly is a joy, sometimes you just have to look long and hard, lol