Monday, October 6, 2008

Everything can be traced back to that Cookbook!

My fascination with the River Cottage Family Cookbook led me online. Of course! There I found Hugh's (author) UK TV shows. Awesome. The one that really hooked me was the Smallholdings. They took a few families, gave them space in a city and they had to turn it into a small holding. The space to begin with was overran by weeds and brambles. The families spent a little time and got the space all cleared out so they could plant vegetables and raise pigs and chickens.



Standard TV right. But not for me. The thing that impressed me was that they cleared all this out using hand tools, nothing special, and a lot of hard work. Once again, right down my alley. I don't have many tools and don't really care to spend my money on them.



This short clip really inspired me. I have a lot behind my house. It has been the baine of my existence for 7 years. It is overgrown, weedy, and brushy. I can never keep it under control, even though it is at the top of my yard work list constantly. In addition to the lot I have this hill. Ugh. This hill has so many little trees and yucky weeds (all of which I am allergic to) and it is too steep to mow. The hill is such an eyesore that I pretend I don't own it.



All that said, I love this bit of land. I can imagine it a beautiful garden with a gazebo or something cool. A little oasis in the middle of town. Joy #2 pictures it as an awesome skate park, throw down some concrete and ramps and whatever else skaters need, and my neighbor would love to build a garage on it, but it's mine not his. :)



Soooo guess what I did on Saturday?? I cleared off the hill! Yes, I did, thanks to that hard working boy of mine and some determination on my part. We worked from 8:30- 2:30, well Joy #2 went until 3:30 pm. Using branch cutters, a weed eater, and lawn mower we got the entire hill finished! It is beautiful, and a major step in getting the rest of the lot in tip top condition. In order not to get overwhelmed, I mentally broke the hill into sections and just worked a section until it was clear of growth. My plan worked and I am anxious to start the rest of the lot. Wouldn't it be awesome if I could get it looking nice by the end of October!?!



I went out to take a picture for you but the camera battery was dead. Instead I present a representation of the actual hill...
God Bless Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

3 comments:

cinnamongirl93 said...

It feels great to work on a big project outdoors. Nice job. You will reap the rewards for a long time to come!

Debbie said...

oh...fantastic....now come clear out the remnants of my garden :-P

Tracy Batchelder said...

Yard work has been at the bottom of my priority list lately and it shows. I really need to take inspiration from you and get some weeds pulled.